Wednesday 12 March 2008

**** - Introducing the Star Rating System

I probably should not have gone to class last night; I've got a cold, and though I've had it since last Thursday or Friday and so am probably past the contagious stage, I was coughing a bit and had to leave the mat to blow my nose. I actually seemed to get more congested as the class went on and this morning the sore throat had returned. All of this, of course, is to assuage my feelings of guilt for missing tonight's class. However I am convinced that it is best for all to get better before getting back on the mat. 

All of that said, Tuesday night's class was really good - I would say a four out of five stars. I think it is funny to assign a star system to BJJ classes but it may also be a good way to take quick stock. I think for me the criteria is based as much, if not more, on my level of mental and emotional well being as on what I take away from the class technically and physically. Last nights class was fun, I learned something and I got a good workout. Four stars is fantastic. As of right now this is my rating system (which is subject to change at any time without notice):

Five stars is over the moon - great instruction, fun, a feeling of confidence, some retention of new techniques and/or evidence of using technique in sparring, a vigorous workout - in short, a class that elevates me and has me walking on the clouds.

Four stars is fantastic - all of the above but not quite at the same pitch.

Three stars is good/satisfactory - some of the above but not all 

Two stars is sub-par - for whatever reason leaving class with a feeling that I didn't get out of it what I wanted or was in some way disappointed with myself on some level (mental, emotional or physical)

One star is frustration to the point of not being able to take anything of value from the class.

So why did last night's class get four stars? Well, as I said I think it has more to do with me and my mindset than anything - so I guess I was in good form mentally last night. Here is a description of the class from my point of view to help flush out the rating system: 

We didn't learn any new techniques. Ollie* warmed us up for a grueling 10-15 minutes (he obviously subscribes to the Jude philosophy of physical training - hallelujah!) and then Gustavo lead us in the following drills with a partner:

1 minute - arm bar drill from guard - alternating sides
1 minute "rest" while partner does the drill

2 minutes - from spider-type guard to triangle - alternating sides
2 minutes "rest" while partner does the drill

1 minute - jump to standing from in guard - leaning on partners chest and bringing both legs up simultaneously (I couldn't do this very well - pulled it off once)
1 minute "rest" while partner does the drill

Then we did guard passage King of the Hill. As usual I did not spend too much time on the mat but the line moved quickly and I was having fun with it and enjoyed working with everyone. I asked Ollie to tell me what I was doing wrong and he told me that my technique was good but that I was lacking confidence - that I stopped twice though in both instances he said he did not have the submission/sweep. I think I can work on that!

During the little break at the hour mark I asked Gustavo for some advice - whenever someone has broken my guard, my inclination is to turn on my right side and brace my left knee/shin against my opponents chest and it never works well for me. Gustavo said that what I was doing makes it too easy for my opponent to just push my left knee to the mat and gain side control and that what I should do instead is to put my left foot on my opponents right hip, my right hand in his right collar (cross grip) and (I'm a little fuzzy here) grip his/her right cuff in my left hand and control his/her left arm with my right leg/foot. To be honest I forget now the latter half of what he told me - but most importantly to keep my left foot on his/her right hip and control the torso and other limbs as needed - a much more active position. The guy I asked to be my partner while getting this instruction from Gustavo offered for me to drill this a little and I declined - perhaps if I had I would remember now - Note to self!

For the last half hour of class we did open sparring. I did four rounds and sat our two or three (I was feeling snotty and tired) but really enjoyed the sessions I did take part in. It was a small-ish class and as I don't often go on Tuesdays it was not the usual cast of characters (though still all faces were familiar - I think some of these guys must live at the academy!) - it was really good, on many levels, to roll with new people and people I don't often work with. I was really a nice class and I left feeling much better for having done it, with a new optimism and glad to have gotten a good workout - I just hope I didn't infect anyone!


*I've decided to only use names of the instructors and the assistants in effort to respect people's privacy - I hope none of you mind being anonymous!

1 comment:

slideyfoot said...

Does that mean you'd rather I didn't mention your name in my blog? You've cropped up a few times, but I can happily anonymise it if you'd like.

I assume people don't mind if I'm just using first names, but then yours is rather more distinctive than most. ;)