Saturday 8 March 2008

Introduction

I promised a BJJ friend I would do this: create my very own Jiu-Jitsu blog to track and explore The BJJ Effect as it pertains to me. Never having done martial arts before (except for a series of Judo classes when I was 10) I am not sure how the BJJ Effect differs to that of other martial arts - but perhaps it is the BJJ Effect in action that makes it such that I have no interest in other martial arts (as a practice at least). I found BJJ quite randomly; I had been working out consistently at a gym near my work in Novato, California and two things occurred to me: 1) I was bored and wanted something to make working out fun again, and 2) I wanted whatever that was to be closer to my home for ease of getting in my workouts on the weekends. An ex-boyfriend had encouraged me to try martial arts (he trained at the United Studios of Self Defense) but I never got as far as setting foot in the Dojo. But now it had become appealing and I thought I would see what it had in it for me. A good friend is a Kempo practitioner and teacher so I considered that as well as Tae Kwon Do. I had every intention of trying out a few places before making my mind up, however my first visit to a school called Practical Martial Arts was positive enough to end the search early. PMA taught classes in essentially Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (though they undoubtedly borrow from many disciplines as they have the utmost integrity and would not bill themselves as teaching the techniques of mixed martial arts blended with traditions and principles of the past without doing just that). Initially, as is true today, the cornerstone of my commitment to BJJ is that it is a great workout - and I really enjoyed the cardio element of the standup portions of the class, I went along with the groundwork because it was just part of the program. In truth I was intimidated by the groundwork and therefore found myself fascinated by it and eventually (after about 2 months) got myself to go to classes that focussed on BJJ. My teacher was very engaging and encouraging and I found that soon I was getting to every class I could ... the BJJ Effect! This all started in Early March of 2006; four months later I decided to move to London, England; little did I know that arguably the best BJJ fighter in the world today had an academy there. I moved to London on the 4th of July and enrolled at the Roger Gracie Academy on the 13th of July. I got my blue belt from Roger Gracie on June 4th 2007. Though morale waxes and wanes I think I am in it to win it; and as one can have mastery in BJJ, but that BJJ can never be mastered, means I will be doing this for awhile. In the writing of this introduction to my personal BJJ odyssey I realize it is my 2-year anniversary in the sport and a perfect time to renew my commitment to it. I will endeavour to log what I have learned about BJJ (techniques) and myself after each lesson. Tchau for now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool Indra,
I too feel the same way as you. I no longer have any interest in any other martial arts. It's Brazilian Jiu Jitsu all the way baby!

I look forward to reading future installments :]

Tran

slideyfoot said...

Awesome: looking forward to it too!

BJJ has meant I've lost any interest in striking martial arts, but I'd still be up for giving judo another go, or perhaps wrestling.