Saturday 19 April 2008

Last Randori Class Before SENI 2008













Today (as the title suggests) was the last Randori class before SENI next weekend; it was also the last time we will see Roger for awhile as he is going to NY to train with Renzo in preparation for his MMA fight in Japan coming up in about a month. Mauricio is back for a time and I look forward to his presence in our classes. Today's class was huge. I wouldn't be surprised if there were 40 or 50 people on the mat and another 15 or so watching. It should have been good fun, most of my favourite people were there, however, of late I feel as if I am just going through the motions and feeling little enthusiasm about my evolution in the sport. It could be dread of the coming competition or just a symptom of general dissatisfaction. I am hoping that the competition shakes things up and makes Brazilian Jiu Jitsu exciting again. I need my mojo back.

I spent some class time and about half an hour after class taking pictures - mostly of people sparring. One of the most pleasurable experiences for me is to be able to give someone a great picture I have taken of them. Taking a good photograph is a real high - for me, I imagine, photography and Jiu Jitsu are similar in that so much of it feels like trial and error. And with both of them I am a somewhat impatient and lazy student - I do not like to study and practice exercises - I just want to wing it and hope for the best. It works often enough to encourage this approach but I imagine with time I will learn to invest some time and energy into a more structured approach. 

Final note - I weighed myself this evening and I was 67 kilos! That is where I need to be - but I am wary as I was 69 yesterday and 70 every day last week - it is absolutely erratic and so I am not going to change anything - I'm going to continue as I have been until next weekend, when I will modify somewhat - but not too much as I am really keen to get down to about 65 and stay there. At any rate, I am stoked - it looks probable that I will fight middleweight.


3 comments:

slideyfoot said...

Cool pics! Is your camera fairly beefy, or you just know how to take a good shot? Or indeed a combination of the two, I guess. ;)

indra said...

I do indeed have a new beefy camera - however I would like to think that I also know something about getting a good shot!

Georgette said...

My photography and my BJJ follow the same pattern as yours... ditto my salsa dancing. Rigorous drilling and practice is the answer but sometimes I just don't ask the right questions. Best of luck to you-- and your pictures look like "winging it" works pretty well! :)